American Urological Association - Kidney: Perinephric Fat and Gerota's Fascia
Kidney: Perinephric Fat and Gerota's Fascia
- Thin sheath of connective tissue that covers the kidneys (image A).
- Fibroadipose tissue invested between Gerota's fascia and renal capsule (image B).
- These layers are important histo-anatomic landmarks for staging the extent of extrarenal extension by renal carcinoma (pT3 and pT4).
- Involvement of Gerota's fascia by renal carcinoma indicates high stage disease (pT4).
- Adipose tissue superficial to Gerota's fascia is called pararenal fat.